How to Get Started with Essential Oils
Ready to get started now?
Scroll down to the bottom to see my current special and how to order.
What are essential oils?
You know how certain things you eat have nutrition to them – and some are better for you than others?
For instance we know that Oranges are a good source of several vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin C, thiamin, folate and potassium.
The leaves of a Eucalyptus tree are known to boost respiratory health, strengthen the immune system, protect skin health, and ease tension.
The same for the lavender plant which some people are able to grow in their backyard for its calming and relaxing qualities.
Hence, essential oils are the natural oil from that orange, eucalyptus leaf and lavender plant that has been harvested and distilled down into a pure, aromatic compound. It is the essence of that plant, root, bark, seed, flower or stem.
Essential oils are pure extracts from plants, they are 50-70 times more powerful than herbs and are nature’s defense mechanism for plants and cells. They are highly concentrated so a little goes a very long way and they are a safe, effective, affordable, and an alternative to many synthetic products/remedies.
CPTG Quality Testing
The purity of an essential oil is its most important characteristic. An essential oil that isn’t pure means you run the risk of putting germs, heavy metals, or adulterants onto or into your body, which can provoke irritation, adverse effects, or even sickness. Without an accepted standard for essential oil quality, doTERRA created its own testing process, calling it CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade®. The CPTG process certifies that there are no added fillers, synthetic ingredients, or harmful contaminants in their essential oils that would reduce their efficacy. doTERRA even goes a step further, putting all their products and the packaging through a battery of tests to ensure a long and effective shelf-life. This protocol ensures potency, purity, and consistency batch to batch.
How to use essential oils safely
Traditionally, certain essential oil application methods have been preferred or used exclusively. However, as the research surrounding essential oils continues to develop, a greater understanding of application methods is now understood. All application methods are safe when used appropriately, including aromatic, topical, and internal methods. One or multiple application methods can be used for a wide range of emotional and physical wellness applications. They can be used a single oil at a time or in complex blends in one of three methods:
The sense of smell is a tool that can elicit powerful physiologic, mental, and emotional responses. Essential oils are quickly absorbed by the smell receptors, which have a direct link to the limbic system by way of the olfactory nerve. The limbic system is part of the brain that supports a variety of functions including smell, emotions, behavior, and memory. For this reason, essential oils have an especially powerful effect via aromatic application.
Some essential oils induce uplifting or invigorating effects, while others are more calming. Diffusion is one of the simplest methods for using essential oils aromatically. Diffusers that use cold air or water are ideal. However, using essential oils aromatically does not require any special diffusing devices.
You can achieve the same health benefits by simply placing a few drops of essential oil in the palm of your hand that is then cupped around the nose as you breathe deeply.
Additional aromatic uses For Essential Oils Include:
- Apply oil to a cotton ball and place in the air vents of your vehicle
- Mix oils in a spray bottle with water and mist over furniture, carpet, or linens
- Add oil to a batch of laundry or to dryer sheets
- Use in household surface cleaners
Topical application is a very effective method for applying essential oils. Because essential oils have low molecular weights and are lipid soluble, they easily penetrate the skin. Once absorbed, they stay in the applied area for a localized benefit.
Although essential oils are readily absorbed, there are many ways to increase absorption. Using a light massage will increase the blood flow to the area of application, in turn improving distribution throughout the body. Use of a carrier oil can also increase absorption, especially in skin that is dry or flaky as it helps moisturize the skin and slow evaporation of the oil.
To decrease the likelihood of developing a skin sensitivity, especially on young or sensitive skin, it is advisable to use a carrier oil (such as Fractionated Coconut Oil) to dilute more potent oils and when trying an oil for the first time. The recommended dilution ratio is typically one drop of essential oil to three drops of carrier oil.
It’s always advisable to use several small doses throughout the day rather than a single large dose. Start with the lowest possible dose (1–2 drops). A topical dose can be repeated every 4–6 hours as needed. Because every individual is unique, the dose will vary for each individual based on size, age, and overall health status.
Beneficial Areas You Can Apply Essential Oils
- Forehead and temples
- Chest and abdomen
- Arms, legs, bottom of feet
Other Effective Methods of Topical Application
- Add a few drops of oil to a warm bath
- Make a hot or cold compress by soaking a towel or cloth in water, adding essential oils, and then applying to the desired area
- Add oil to a lotion or moisturizer and then apply to skin
Sensitive Areas to be Avoided:
- Some facial areas, such as the skin around the eyes
- Eyes and inner ears
- Broken, damaged, or otherwise injured skin
Certain essential oils have a rich culinary history and can be used as dietary supplements supporting a variety of healthy conditions. When you sprinkle cinnamon on your oatmeal, sip a mug of peppermint tea, or add fresh basil leaves to your spaghetti, you are actually consuming some volatile aromatic essential oil compounds.
Essential oil contributes many health benefits as well as flavoring and aroma properties to foods. When in their concentrated form, essential oils can be used as dietary supplements for more targeted and potent health benefits. Internal use is a very safe and effective method of application because of the sophisticated physiologic processes of our bodies.
When ingested, essential oils directly enter the bloodstream via the gastrointestinal tract, where they are transported throughout the rest of the body. Essential oils are lipid soluble so they are readily transported to all organs of the body, including the brain. Then, like all things we consume, essential oils are metabolized by the liver and other organs and are then excreted.
The composition of essential oils is highly complex. Each constituent possesses a unique set of biochemical properties that react with cells and organs in different ways. Although these mechanisms of action are not completely understood, the positive end results have been demonstrated. However, the body is only equipped to handle appropriate doses of essential oils.
Proper dosing according to labeling recommendations and other professional guidelines should be strictly followed to avoid toxicity.
Effective Methods of Internal Application
- Use oils in recipes for cooking or baking to replace fresh or dried herbs and spices
- Remember that essential oils are much more potent than dried or fresh herbs and spices, so start with a very small amount
- For more potent oils, it may be better to administer them by toothpicks (dip the end of a clean toothpick into the oil and then add to the food) rather than drops
- Add essential oils to water, smoothies, milk, tea, or other drinks
- Take essential oils internally in a veggie capsule or add to a small amount of applesauce or yogurt
Become a wholesale customer and join our private oil club!
Ready to enroll with a kit now? Go here:
When you purchase a wholesale starter kit you get:
- Your wholesale membership fee of $35 is waived
- Wholesale pricing (25% discount)
- No obligation to sell or monthly order required
- Our most popular and loved oils in a discounted bundle
- Option to receive 10-30% of future purchases back in FREE product points
- Eligibility to receive doTERRA’s FREE Product of the Month
- Option to receive shipping costs of future purchases back in points redeemable for free product
- Free Welcome Consult
- Access to my private online community for support AND exclusive offers
- 8 weeks of Continuing Education about oils and how to use them
—– Scroll Down to See ALL the Recommended Starter Kits —–
The top sellers are the Family Essentials Kit and the Home Essentials Kit. Both come with the top 10 oils with over 100+ uses!
The Home Essentials Kit is the BEST value because it comes with a diffuser AND triple the amount of oils (15 ml bottles) for LESS than double the price of the Family Kit.
How to Order:
- Step 1: GO HERE , click Join doTERRA, then select your country and hit continue.
- Step 2: Select “Wholesale Customer” or “Wellness Advocate” (get a free website to share and sell doTERRA) and then hit continue.
- Step 3: Input your contact and shipping info. *My ID if needed for enroller/sponsor is 3900517.
- Step 4: Select your wholesale starter kit (click here to see ALL the starter kits) OR choose the $35 wholesale member fee and shop ala carte.
- Step 5: Enter in your payment information and then hit “Process Order Now and Continue“.
You’re Done – WELCOME to doTERRA!
That’s it! You will receive a confirmation email from doTERRA– you can log into your account right away to manage your orders.
Once enrolled, friend me on Facebook (Krysta Anderson Steen) and I will add you to our private Oil Club. In there you will find a video on how to use the oils in your kit!
I cannot wait to help you get started on your essential oil journey!
Enrollment kits come in all shapes, configurations and sizes. Depending on your needs and how you want to start using doTERRA products, you have lots of options. Feel free to explore and discover these very popular kits!