Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup
|January 15, 2016||Filled under Recipe|
This was delicious, and perfect for a chilly night!
This was super easy too – I love crock pot meals!
We actually added the whole package of orzo to make it an even thicker, stew-like soup. The parmesan rind isn’t absolutely necessary, but I would highly recommend it! It added a wonderful flavor.
Here is the printable recipe. Slightly adapted from Cozy Country Living.
- 3 or 4 large carrots, sliced thin
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 28 oz. package frozen Italian style meatballs
- 5 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 32 oz. chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 1 Parmesan rind if you have it
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta or other small pasta
- salt and pepper to taste
- freshly grated Parmesan for garnish
- Saute the carrots, onions and garlic in the olive oil, until softened, for about 5-10 minutes.
- In a large slow cooker, add the frozen meatballs, carrot/onion/garlic mixture, the baby spinach, chicken stock, water and Parmesan rind.
- Mix together well.
- Cook on low for 7 or 8 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker and add your uncooked pasta, stir and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.