Lentil Sloppy Joes
|March 12, 2015||Filled under Recipe|
These lentil sloppy joes were great!
I have been using lentils more and more in our meals and we are loving it! They are such a great source of protein!
These sloppy joes were really yummy, and the boys only missed the ground beef “a little”. :)
Do you use lentils? What is your favorite recipe to use them in?
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Lentils
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (or regular if you don't have smoked)
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp sea salt (or more, to taste)
- black pepper, to taste
- Rinse the lentils and place in a pot with the 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for approximately 20 minutes. You want the lentils just softened, as they will continue cooking with the other ingredients.
- In a separate large pan, saute the onion, pepper and carrot in olive or coconut oil for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili powder and paprika. Cook and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Drain the lentils and add to the onion/veggie mixture. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer over medium heat for about 20-30 minutes.
Adapted from Squash Blossom Babies