Recipe: Cheddar Broccoli Soup with Bacon
|February 20, 2014||Filled under Recipe|
This is one of those cold winter night feel-good meals. Ooh, so good! The kids ate it (score!) and the hubby RAVED about it!
Cheddar Broccoli Soup with Bacon
Recipe type: Soup
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, julienned (or shredded)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups Half and Half
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bunches (about 12 ounces) fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- dash of fresh nutmeg
- 10 ounces GOOD sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Drop in broccoli florets and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from pot and immediately place in large bowl of ice water. Let cool, then drain and set aside.
- Cook bacon and set aside. Reserve 1 tsp or so of the drippings in the pan, then saute the onions and carrots until softened, but still firm. Set aside.
- Melt butter in pan, add in flour, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes to form a roux.
- While still stirring, pour in half and half and vegetable broth. Add nutmeg and stir. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add in broccoli, onions and carrots. Stir and cover, then simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Use potato masher to break up broccoli florets. Add in cheddar cheese and bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.