Recipe: Homemade (Healthier!) Taco Seasoning
|May 27, 2013||Filled under Recipe|
Our family LOVES tacos. I could probably live on Mexican food! And not just the chips and salsa (or queso!), but quesadillas, enchiladas…OK, now I’m just plain hungry. :)
Have you ever stopped to look at the ingredients that are in some of the store-bought taco seasonings?? I never used to, but once I did I was not impressed and now I always make my own! It is way cheaper and healthier too!
Take a peek at one big name brand’s ingredients:
Couple of notes about this homemade taco seasoning:
- It calls for sea salt. We use grey celtic sea salt and love it (find it here), and use a mortar and pestle to grind it up as we need it See?
- The crushed red pepper can easily be adjusted for taste. I err on the milder side and my hubby just adds extra to his tacos.
- This can easily be doubled or tripled and stored for later use. Just store in an airtight container.
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1¾ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Combine with 1 pound browned ground beef or turkey, add about ¼ cup water and simmer for 5-10 minutes.